Monday, January 13, 2014

Running ... or ... My War with the Dogs

“If you listen too much to the suffering, the anger of other people, you will be affected. You will be in touch with only the suffering, and you won’t have the opportunity to be in touch with other, positive elements. This will destroy your balance. Therefore, in your daily life, you have to practice so that you can be in touch with elements that do not constantly express suffering: the sky, the birds, the trees, the flowers, children- whatever is refreshing, healing, and nourishing in us and around us.” 
–Thich Nhat Hahn

During my stint at the University of Denver, I learned about the importance of self-care. In the Social Work program we spent a lot of time talking about the subject and creating plans to take care of ourselves so that we could best take care of others. One aspect of my plan was running. I haven’t always enjoyed running, but in the past few years it has become a main way of distressing and staying sane.

When I arrived in Libertad I was happy to learn that there was a two kilometer road to La Sabanatica, the town that sits directly on the beach. I was even happier to learn that there was a woman who already walked part of the way to the beach every morning.

The first morning, we got up at 4:45 am to walk to the “Y” and back. It was tough to wake up so early, but worth it to see the stars, feel cool air, and enjoy the company of a new neighbor. That afternoon the girls I live with found out that I went and said that they wanted to join us the next day. I was impressed the next morning to find four 13 and 14 year old girls up at 5:00 am to go jogging. They jogged about 100 meters and then decided to walk.

I made it all the way to the beach that second morning. I took off my shoes and stood with my feet in the shallows of the shoreline and gazed out onto the moonlight waters. It is a fabulous way to begin the day. When I turned around, the sky was just beginning to redden with the rising sun over the Montes de María.

The girls and my neighbor were waiting back at the “Y” and the girls ran a little ways back with me. After I made it to the soccer field in town, I went back until I found them and made them run with me to the field. I am amazed that they have woken up almost every morning with me to run and continue to run more and more every day.


There is just one small thing: the dogs.  There is a house about halfway between the “Y” and the beach that has four dogs. 

And they are out to get me.

The first day they barked at me.

The second day they chased me.

The third day they got close enough to touch my leg.

I was not about to see what the next step was in their attack, so on the fourth day I took the offense. I armed myself with a stick and a rock. I don’t like being violent (after all, I am supposed to be embracing Mennonite values) but I also don’t like being bitten by animals.

When the dogs heard me they came running at me at full speed, barking as if I were prey. But I was ready. I swung my stick, I yelled as loud as I could (poor people who live there), and I took aim at the dog in the middle. I threw the rock and the dog squealed and ran back. The other dogs followed suit, still barking like mad. I didn't hit the dog, so I didn't feel bad. I felt proud. I won the battle that day.

I hid the stick nearby so that I can use it again the next time I pass through the danger zone.

Still, it is a beautiful way to start the day: friends, running, stars, ocean, sunrise… I live in a wonderful place!


2 comments:

  1. Update- On my last run I didn't run into the dogs... However, I did run into a herd of cattle!

    ReplyDelete