Thursday, March 20, 2014

Things here are different…


"All the windows of my heart I open to the day." -John Greenleaf Whittier

Whenever one is in a new place, one sees new things. I have definitely seen some interesting things here.

For example, I had no idea that chickens slept in trees:


Or that motorcycles were kept in living rooms:


And I never tire of seeing the teenage guys ride by on their donkey on the way to work on the farm, listening to their mp3 players. The juxtaposition of it makes me smile every time. Who says you can’t commute on a donkey with good music? I sure wish I had a picture of this!

I also have no idea how I get so much dirt in my house every day! I clean every morning and every morning I sweep this amount of dirt or more out of my door! (Notice the dead cockroaches. Getting rid of them little by little!)


When my friend in Mampujan found some peanut butter in her house she was excited to make me a sandwich… I definitely did not expect a ham, cheese, and peanut butter sandwich!

Lastly, I never expected to eat yucca (a staple food here, pretty much eaten with every meal) with mac and cheese (yes, I found mac and cheese at the big super market in the city and decided to eat a bit of comfort food), but here is proof of my dinner the other night:

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to keep hearing about all your new experiences! Keep taking photos too; you'll eventually get one of the boys listening to their music.

    ReplyDelete