Thursday, October 16, 2014

A Year in Review

"Rejoice in the Lord always.  I will say it again: Rejoice!  Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:4-7

Recently I visited the US for a quick trip to see my family, friends, and boyfriend.  It was fantastic to receive so much loving and energy from so many people!  Thank you to everyone!

On Sunday, the pastor invited me to share a bit about the past year in Colombia.  The following are the reflections that I shared with the congregation, and now I share with you:

This past year I have learned:

1. to ride a donkey.


2. to drive a motorcycle.

3. to make coconut rice, fried plantains, and sweets out of crops like yuca and ñame.


4. to sleep through blasting music, singing roosters, and machines processing rock to make blocks.

5. how much and how quickly dust accumulates in my house and how much I don’t like to mop.

6. to manage living with water that doesn’t always turn on, showering with a bucket and saving water to cook and clean in tanks or pots or pails.

7. to drink coffee with so much sugar that it doesn’t even taste like coffee.

8. to milk a cow.

9. to simply sit and enjoy the company of those around me.

10. but not to believe everything I hear, as rumors and gossip are a major part of the town communication.

11. when it is appropriate to wear flip flops and when I need to wear sandals.

12. the fear and struggle of farmers who do not have land to farm and whose crops all have died due to drought.

13. the desperation of families with no source of income and no opportunities to work, requiring the families to split up in order for members to find work where they can in other parts of Colombia.

14. how guerrilla groups and paramilitary troops were formed.

15. about the laws dealing with transitional justice, reparations, restitution of land, and reconciliation.

16. about the stories of massacres, displacements, sexual violence, and human rights abuses from the mouths of people I love.

17. the complexities of politics and the corruption from the national level to my small town.

18. the patience necessary for doing things the way the system requires and the frustration that even though we do what they ask, they don’t do what they promise.

19. that it is possible for whole communities to organize themselves and demand their rights.


20. the healing power of a hug.

21. how much hope and energy I receive just from watching kids jump rope in my house, throw a Frisbee in my patio, or make faces for a picture.


22. that even though there is hunger, poverty, limited education and labor opportunities, racism, oppression, false promises, and corruption, there is still so much happiness, sharing, and hope for a different future.

23. that the violence and conflict in Colombia is not over but there are many who believe in and are working for a Colombia in peace.

24. the importance of depending on God in all situations and bringing everything to God in prayer.

All of these lessons have taught me the beauty ad the difficulty of living in a small town affected by violence on the Caribbean coast, and the importance and power of prayer, so I'm going to end with three prayer requests:

1. For rain as many of the farming communities are facing a very difficult future for the lack of rain
2. Wisdom, patience, and energy for the community leaders
3. Peace and healing throughout the country

No comments:

Post a Comment