Friday, November 6, 2015

Reflections from the Road

“Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey.” – Babs Hoffman

I am in the US.  I have been here for almost three weeks now and it has been fantastic.

I spent the first week or so in Pennsylvania, surrounded by Mennonites, getting the low-down on the Mennonite Central Committee (MCC), and adjusting to being surrounded by English speakers, bread, frost, and being on time.  I met amazing people from all over the world involved in all different aspects of MCC- thrift stores, administration, finance, exchanges, country representatives, and staff from national offices. It really helped me understand how MCC works worldwide and how necessary every person is in the organization.  While it was hard to leave my community in Colombia and not go directly to my community in the United States, it was worth the time and energy.



After my stint there I had the absolutely beautiful and fabulous reunion with my parents and Honey Bunches of Oats (obviously I have a different kind of love for each, but both were emotional experiences).  

However, I was only home for two days before I took off on the Great Western United States Road Trip of November 2015.  The purpose of this road trip is two-fold:

1) See many people I love that I haven't seen for two years and probably won't see for two more years.

2) Spend quality time reflecting over the last two years and preparing myself for the work to come.

A road trip is perfect for both of these things. My plan is to do a mini-series in my blog of Reflections from the Road.  I have a lot of catching up to do with my writing and I have already received several complaints that I have abandoned the blog a bit in the last year (which is completely true).

So keep your eyes open!  Reflections to come!

Many thanks to my Mom for lending me her car for a whole month!  You rock Mom!  And to both my parents for agreeing to let me spend a month of my time in the country away from them.  You are both very good to me.  I love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment